|Most of Fort Gaines reminds you of times gone by - the quiet and gentleness of a more innocent age. The southwest corner of the town multiplies this feeling exponentially, for it is here that the age of Fort Gaines and Clay County is made more evident. Here is Frontier Village. |
Frontier Village dominates what is called Bluff Park, the small area that overlooks the famous bluff, the Chattahoochee River, and the flat plains of Alabama beyond.
|The park has existed since at least 1908, and is probably much older. Most of the buildings in Frontier Village are at least a century old. Most of them have been moved from various parts of Clay County, donated by former owners. |
|Woman's Club House|
On February 4, 1927 Mayor Zack Arnold, acting for the city council, deeded a plot of land in the City Park to the Women's Club. The funds were raised by public subscription and the building erected within the year.
|Boy Scout Cabin|
In 1928 the Boy Scouts, led by local minister Emmett Emerson Gardner, received permission to build a log cabin in the southwest corner of Bluff and Commerce Streets. The boys cut the logs, scraped them, and built the hut themselves.
This cannon has rested in the same spot since the Civil War. Since 1908 it has undergone a number of restorations. Two similar cannons also graced the bulff at this point, but have been removed to other places and put in other parks as relics of war.
|The Toll House|
The gift of Mrs. Hortense King Fowler, this building originally occupied the lot just north of its present location. Early records indicate that it was one of John Dill's houses, and was used for Methodist Church Services. At some point in the 1820s, John Sutlive bought it and used it as a toll and rest stop for the ferry located under the bluff.
|Newt Engram House|
This house was formerly located at Lightard Knot Springs, near Zetto, GA, east of Fort Gaines.
Donated by Herbert and Liz Ingram, this cabin was once located near Sutton's Cross Roads, also east of the town proper.
Robert Watson donated this small board building, once located just east of Day's Crossroads, northeast of Fort Gaines.
Once located on the Boyett family homestead in Randolph County, this is all that's left of from several buildings owned by Alvin Crozier, Mrs. Susie Crozier, Mrs. Marie Ward and Mrs. Tom Watson.
|The Confederate Fort|
This watchtower is all that remains of a Confederate fort erected on the bluff to overlook the river.
|Split Rail Fence and Cane Mill|
Not buildings per se, these structures nonetheless are important features on many old homesteads. These were donated by Arthur Lee Boyett and came from Garnerville, an old settlement in northeast Clay County.
|Hammack Log House|
This is all that's left of a larger structure once located about four miles east of Edison, GA. It was donated by Dan Hammack.
|Otis Micco Statue|
Erected in 1988-89 by the artist Phillip Andrews, this statue of Otis Micco overlooks the bluff and the bridge to Alabama. Micco is a famous Native American overwhelmed by American forces in the early days of Fort Gaines. Phillip Andrews is a talented artist who decided to retire in Fort Gaines.
|Other buildings have been donated to Frontier Village over the last few decades. The ongoing preservation of the current houses and the addition of these other buildings has presented an unending challenge to the city. Future support and funding will be needed to maintain this monumentally historic site.|