Fort Gaines Baptist Church
207 E. Hartford St.
Ft. Gaines, GA 39851
Pastor Jeff Hines
The First Baptist Church of Ft. Gaines was established May 11, 1845 by Rev. Joshua Mercer, Thomas Long, Lewis Everingham and Rev. H. A. Wilcox. There were fourteen charter members: William Castleberry, Catherine Castleberry, Richard Grist, Jas. F. Rowland, Osborn Eley, Jacob Anderson, John Garner, Richard F. Grist, Mary B. Grist, Mary Colbert, Mary Tatum, Patience Anderson, Lucinda C. Garner, Lewis Paullin.
The original church was built on land donated by Mrs. Mary Henderson who also furnished most of the funds for materials and workmanship (slave labor). The present church building was completed in 1892 at the same site.